This is the Max patch so far. I’ve been working away at in drabs. I feel like I am understanding things in Max a lot more clearly now. After having a couple years break from it, things are starting to make a little bit of sense. I get lost in what I have actually done though and I keep forgetting to write down a diagram of what is happening.
After doing some of the Beap and Vizzie tutorials, I found that I could copy and paste what I needed from the patches and put it into my own patch.
Currently, the patch allows me to take in 1 sound source- such as a piezo mic and then sound gets edited. Its quite a crazy sound – it’s quite alien and not really what I want but I have been focusing on the visual element quite a lot. Below are some screen shots of the visuals on different settings.
What I have been working on is how to transform the piezo mic input into data so that I the visuals can be edited live/in real time. I do quite like these kind of visuals – glitch art like, but I don’t feel like they represent/ show my aesthetic. Although I am still at the stage where I am still undecided on what the visuals will look like and what the sound will look like I am pleased that the installation shape is forming. I am currently working out how to have 3 different sets of visuals. I have found objects that allow for a screen to open as a separate window but can’t seem to get it to work on another visual element inside the app.
As I am also having some problems with my laptop and audio interfaces, it is difficult for me to see how everything is working all at once as I can only use 1 input. This is due to system upgrade to Mojave a couple of month ago….
I have begun to realise that the process of this installation is very much through experimenting with idea’s and working through and solving tech problems to achieve what I want to do.