Yesterday we dismantled the array to see if we could reconfigure a set up that I could take to an external space and test there. We were going to set-up the array in the reception area but just didn’t get round to doing that because of lots of troubleshooting things.
There were lots of discussions about how to use the array and how many ‘worlds’ of ambisonic should be used.
As discussed in the last meeting with discussions with the technicians, we talked about having separate worlds around each pod of plants would be a way to go about it. In that case, each world would have a minimum of 4 speakers – so for example if there were 3 worlds placed in the space then 12 speakers minimum would be needed for the installation. This would also mean 3 separate machine might needed too. Or I could use the whole space of SHIFT. but it all just needs to be testing – so this is what we did
Expanding on what we had been discussing in the previous meeting we cam up with several options to work with. The main thing was really was to make sure it was all working with my machine – as I had a few problems in the January installation.
The setup we worked through has enabled me to understand the array much more clearly. Using design thinking techniques I have been able to use my ideas surrounding the project and the technicians technology experience to design a setup that would be suitable for a first experiment in SHIFT.
Lots of different things were discussed throughout the day and includes much of this list below. I needed to get them all down in a list first as we went through so much that I thought I was going to forget something.
- octo setup
- Ethernet/ CAT-5 Cables
- Daisy Chaining
- Sound-panner thing in m4l
- using envelop or not using envelop
- MOTU is using inputs from 24Ao but the audio interface itself is being bypassed. We are just using the pre-amp from the interface for the motu
- for some reason an AVB Switch is needed to hook up my laptop to the 24Ao
- GLM box + Genelec driver to set speaker configuration
- diamond shape of speakers
- set-up instructions
- mono stems / stereo stems
- the different speaker potentials
- 2 computers or 1 computer
- presets made for GLM box and MOTU configurations
- next to find out how many speakers I will actually need – by testing in the space
- apparently I can now set up an array system like this.
- I understand how this is kind of all working
- post up instructions
- post up images of my drawings.
- I cant believe they are letting me take all this away with me
For the moment all I will be using are these 8 speakers until I have reached the space and tested how it sounds.
This is where everything plugs into in the rack. The top rack is the MOTU and the bottom is the Focusrite 24Ao. I don’t need to plug in the USB for this audio interface as everything is going through the MOTU.
Above is a speaker plan that I drew out. I also have a set of step-by-step instructions that I can follow when putting it all together myself this evening. This is actually mental but really fun.